Resources for MT Medical Transcription
Book and CD-ROM
ďEssentials of Medical Transcription" (found at http://www.dictran.com/medical-transcription-training.html).
This textbook provides drills and office simulations each becoming more difficult in order to help the MT develop his or her skills. The first section of the book introduces medical terminology as well as the different types of medical reports and their formats.
There are chapters for practice in each of the seven specialties including: family practice, orthopedics, urology, pulmonary medicine, gastroenterology, cardiology, and diagnostic imaging. The CD-ROM contains practice exercises that deliver immediate feedback. Annotation c. Book News, Inc., Portland, OR.
ďAdvanced Medical Transcription"
(found at http://www.dictran.com/medical-transcription-training.html). Author Cindy Destafano, BSBA, RT(R) and Fran M. Federman, MSEd, Approximately 608 pages, Illustrated, Copyright 2003
Description of Book and CD:
The hands on text guides readers through increasingly more and more difficult drills and office simulations, allowing them to gain confidence as they master valuable transcription skills. The first unit presents fundamental skills and knowledge essential to the medical transcription profession; and the second unit allows readers to take on the role of an MT working at an outpatient health care center.
Students will benefit from real world feedback as far as their transcription skills with interactive exercises found on the CD ROM along with a helpful Production for Pay Summary feature that actually calculates the MT Studentís adjusted earnings per hour for each document they complete.
An Error Analysis chart categorizes and tracks undetected errors by noting the occurrence of repeated types of mistakes in order that the student may track his or her own progress; thus learning more effectively.
Key Features of this Course:
- The building block approach presents segments of information followed immediately by exercises that help reinforce material in order that students may continually progress to new topics;
- The competency based, programmed learning approach makes it easy to identify and measure the MT studentís progress;
- Error Analysis chart for each document categorizes and tracks undetected errors by noting the occurrence of repeated types of mistakes (differentiating between errors regarding the medical terms and language and errors in English) in order that the student may identify problem areas and thus improve his or her performance.
- The Production for Pay Summary feature replaces the traditional evaluation process, recording how quickly the document was created, subtracting credit for errors found; and calculating the MT studentís adjusted earnings per hour for that particular document;
- An MS Word compatible CD ROM offers pretests and post tests, exercises in proofreading and transcription exercises, as well as an office simulation program that offers additional transcription practice with a self correcting feature that provides automatic feedback as far as the studentís accuracy.
An Overview of Advanced Medical Transcription: A Modular Approach
Using Advanced Word Processing Features
Emergency Medicine and Trauma Procedures
Medical Imaging/Interventional Radiology
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Medical Transcription eBook Contents
- Introduction to Medical Transcription
- Chapter One: Researching Courses and Training Expectations
- Types of Reports the MT Learns to Transcribe
- A Brief Discussion Regarding Equipment
- What to Expect from a Physicianís Dictation
- How to Transcribe: An Initial Primer
- Chapter Two Ė Medical Transcription Schools
- Chapter Three Equipment
- Medical Transcription Software
- Resources for MT Medical Transcription
- Medical Dictionaries
- Medical Spellcheckers
- Medical Transcription Companies
- Professional Associations: Lending Credibility to your Career
- Marketing Your Services to Healthcare Providers
- Related Medical Transcription Resources